Round 15 – Falcons 26 vs Tweed Seagulls 18

Hostplus Cup: Round 15 – Falcons 26 vs Tweed Seagulls 18

Vantage Homes Falcons

26 – 18

Tweed Seagulls

# Player Position Sponsor
1 Luke Polselli Fullback
2 Blake Wilson Wing
3 Jake Maizen Centre Scooters & Mobility
4 Kane Jackson Centre
5 Nat McGavin Wing
6 Jack Wright Five-Eighth Ready Fence
7 Daniel Atkinson Halfback
18 Campbell Duffy Front Row Future Plus Environmental
9 Tyson Smoothy Hooker Sunshine Coast Air Conditioning Services
10 Max Bailey Front Row
11 Louis Geraghty Second-row Supaview
12 Jack Gibbons Second-Row
13 Patrice Siolo (c) Lock
14 Sam Burns Interchange
15 Lazarus Vaalepu Interchange Samios Plumbing Supplies
16 Darryn Shonig Interchange Stockland
17 Ryan Turner Interchange
Brad Henderson Coach

Falcons secure comeback against Seagulls

Match Report by Ethan Irvine. 

A beautiful afternoon for footy saw the Sunshine Coast Falcons play host to the Tweed Seagulls. Both teams coming off a round 14 loss and wanting to get back in the winners circle.

The first try was scored by winger Nat McGavin who went over untouched in the 5th minute. The classy left edge attack set up McGavin to go over untouched. The conversion was missed by Tyson Smoothy and the Falcons took an early 4-0 lead.

It wouldn’t take long for the Falcons to score their second try. Right winger Blake Wilson read an attacking grubber from Tweed perfectly, stepped 2 defenders, and showed some great speed to run the full length of the field to score in the 11th minute. The Falcons making it a 10-0 lead after the try was converted by Smoothy.

The tries kept rolling as the Falcons marched down the field off the kick off. Cooper Johns kicking a pin point placed bomb which fullback Luke Polselli was able to unbelievably catch and flick pass at the same time to centre Kane Jackson who crossed the line to the right of the posts. Polselli showing off some slick skills to set up the third try in the 14th minute. Smoothy converted, making the score 16-0.

Tweed were throwing everything at the Falcons and came close through winger Ioene Seiuli. But determination from the Falcons defense kept the Seagulls scoreless.

It took multiple sets of six from the Seagulls inside the Falcons 20m zone to set up the Seagulls first try in the 28th minute. A short grubber from Lindon McGrady bounced perfectly into the hands of second-rower Joshua Patston next to the posts. The try was converted by McGrady and the score now 16- 6with 10 minutes left in the first half.

The Seagulls had wrestled back some early momentum from the Falcons fast start however the score remained 16-6 to the Falcons at half time.

The second half started slowly with each team making mistakes and not being able to capitalise on field possession. However, both teams were defending exceptionally well and not letting anything through.

The Seagulls had all the field possession in the second half with the Falcons defense turning them away from their line time after time.

What could of been the break the Falcons were looking for when centre Jake Maizen scooped up a ball off his own try line but was disallowed a full length try after a penalty was given to the Seagulls. This would be a major turning point as the Falcons outstanding defense couldn’t hold any longer and  interchange hooker Craig Garvey burrowed his way to the try line to score the first try of the second half in the 59th minute. McGrady converts and the score turned 16-12 to the Falcons.

The lack of possession and repeated defensive sets looked to have taken its toll on the Falcons energy levels.

The Seagulls began to roll down the field easily spreading the ball side to side. A six again call saw them attacking the Falcons line and Watston scored again off a McGrady grubber with the score level with 15minutes to go. McGrady kicked his 3rd conversion in a row to give the Seagulls their first lead of the game 16-18.

The game began to get heated as the clock ran down. The Falcons had defended most of the second half but dug deep under pressure and showed off their combinations as a perfectly executed outside, inside play saw Luke Polselli break through the line and set up Cooper Johns under the posts in the 70th minute. The try was converted by Smoothy to put the Falcons bank in front 22-18.

The Falcons sealed their comeback at home as a Tyson Smoothy’s grubber onthe Tweed line ricocheted perfectly to backrower Jack Gibbons to pounce and extend their lead to 8 with just under 5 minutes remaining. Smoothy missing the conversion and the score remained 26-18.

A late surge from the Seagulls nearly saw them score with 2 minutes to go only to be ruled a forward pass. The Falcons taking the win at Sunshine Coast stadium 28-16 as they look towards their Country Week round 16 clash between the Central Queensland Capras.